The Thai traditional method of cooking the anchovies is as shown below: if you prefer you can wrap them in aluminum foil and roast them in a medium oven for 15 minutes. You can also remove the heads and backbones first. You can also use tinned anchovies (drain and use - they are already cook).
Ingredients.- hakf a pound of anchovies
- quarter cup lemon grass
- qarter cup shallots, chopped
- quarter cup kha (galangal) chopped
- 3 tablespoons prik ki nu (green birdseye chilis), sliced
- quarter cup of tamarind juice (or rice vinegar)
- 5 bai makrut (kaffir lime leaves), shredded
- 3 tablespoons of garlic, sliced
Method.Wrap the anchovies in banana leaves, and place on the embers of a charcoal brazier until the leaf blackens. Remove from the fire and unwrap. Discard the heads and backbones of the fish.
Combine all the ingredients in a mortar and pestle or food processor.
Will keep for about 3 weeks if refrigerated.
[Source from; chetbacon.com]