Ingredients:- 8 oz (250 g) rice noodles (sen lek)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 garlic cloves (kratiem), minced
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp/prawns
- 1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1/4 cup (2 oz/60 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind juice (ma-kaam piag)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 cup fried tofu
- 2 tablespoons dried unsalted turnip, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup 1-in (2.5-cm) lengths chopped chives
- 1/4 cup (2 oz/60 g) ground roasted peanuts
- 1 cup bean sprouts
Garnish:- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 small banana blossom, cut into strips
- 1/2 lime, cut into wedges
How to cook:1. Soak the rice noodles in cold water for 30 minutes, or until soft. Drain, and set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet until hot, then add the oil. Add the garlic and dried shrimp, and stir-fry. Add the noodles and stir-fry until translucent. It may be necessary to reduce the heat if the mixture is cooking too quickly and the noodles stick.
3. Add the fish sauce, sugar tamarind juice and paprika. Stir-fry the mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the tofu, turnip and egg.
4. Turn the heat to high and cook until the egg sets, stirring gently. Thoroughly combine the mixture, and continue cooking over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes until most of the liquid is reduced.
5. Mix in the chives, peanuts and bean sprouts. Place on a serving dish, arrange the bean sprouts, chives, banana blossom and lime attractively and serve.
Serves for; 4